Full Stack Python Web Developer
We are seeking a Full Stack Python Web Developer to join our team and expand our capacity to meet the demands of our growing client base. In this role, you will manage a key piece of Open Architects’ product— the Partner Portal.
Open Architects (OA) is a Massachusetts-based organization that supports school districts, municipalities, state agencies, and education non-profits by providing custom-built visualization dashboards, data tools, and maps to give leaders the information they need to make data-informed decisions.
We believe that high-quality systems and effective use of data are critical foundations that enable excellent schools and municipalities. OA’s data tools seamlessly collect, combine, transform, analyze, and display data from disparate data sources to provide insights to school leaders. Staffed by former practitioners, OA creates the analytical tools and provides the insights that we wish we had when we worked in districts and municipalities.
Now in our seventh year of operation, OA provides an open, collaborative team environment, where diverse perspectives and backgrounds are valued. We are driven by a deep sense of service to our clients and the students and communities they serve, and eagerly get into the trenches to help solve our clients’ problems. We are also a learning organization that embraces the messiness of the work and has fun along the way. We take our work seriously but not ourselves.
As part of a dynamic, growing startup, you will report to OA’s Director of Technology, work closely with the product innovation team, and serve as the lead developer for OA’s Partner Portal. We work remotely and maintain a strong team culture through daily meetings, quarterly step-backs, and an annual in-person retreat.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced full-stack developer with a history of building, maintaining, and extending web applications. The right individual should have a meticulous approach to writing quality code and following best practices; enjoy the challenge of finding the best way to implement new features; have an eye for user experience; and view security with utmost importance.
You will refactor and reengineer portions of our Partner Portal to realign with growth in product and scope, work with the product innovation team to add new features and enhancements, and continually optimize the full stack to improve user experience and product functionality.
Our Partner Portal is the entry point for all OA products and services; this role provides the candidate with an opportunity to shape and impact the growth of an EdTech startup.
Required Technical Skills and Experience
- 3+ years of experience as a full stack web developer with a Python and SQL backend (Flask, SQLAlchemy, MySQL)
- Experience writing, maintaining, and extending APIs
- Strong understanding and use of asynchronous functions
- Experience working with OAuth2, OIDC, SAML, and JWT standards and flows
- Ability to deploy a web application via Docker
- Practical experience writing and executing tests
- Diligent with commenting, documentation, and version control
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Must be able to provide examples of work products (example applications)
Required Personal Skills and Experience
- Ability to work in a fully remote environment (Slack, Zoom)
- Thrives in a fast-paced work environment with the ability to manage multiple projects and deliverables simultaneously
- Self-motivated and able to independently structure work time to achieve assigned objectives
- Excited to work in a collaborative team environment with a flat and flexible organizational structure
- Adheres to the utmost ethical standards in preserving confidentiality with client data
- Balances quick work output without compromising quality
- Flexible and willing to roll up sleeves to support the internal team with both client-facing and marketing needs, including work on both short-term assignments and longer-range projects
Other Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience on Microsoft Azure platform
- Experience working in a Linux environment and with Docker images/containers
- Familiarity with reverse proxies and web server gateway interfaces
- EdTech and/or student data experience
- We offer a competitive compensation package depending on experience and qualifications
- Generous benefits package (health, dental and 401(k)) and flexible paid time off policy
- 100% remote work (most meetings occur during Eastern Standard hours)
- Chance to join a growing startup with opportunity to shape the company and your role
- Applications screened for qualified candidates
- First round interview with company leadership
- Homework assignment and explanation meeting
- Final interview with the team
- Offer extended!
If you are interested in applying, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include work samples if readily available (not required at initial stage).