We are seeking an ETL Specialist to join our team and expand our capacity to meet the demands of our growing client base. In this role, you will manage a key piece of Open Architects’ infrastructure— the ETL pipelines that allow our customers to seamlessly integrate their data in our Partner Portal.
Open Architects (OA) is a Massachusetts-based organization that supports school districts, municipalities, and education non-profits by providing custom-built visualization dashboards to give leaders the information they need to make data-informed decisions.
We believe that high-quality systems and effective use of data are critical foundations that enable excellent schools. OA’s dashboards seamlessly collect, combine, transform, analyze, and display data from disparate data sources to provide insights to school leaders. Staffed by former practitioners, OA creates the analytical tools and provides the insights that we wish we had when we worked in districts and municipalities.
Entering our seventh year of operation, OA provides an open, collaborative team environment, where diverse perspectives and backgrounds are valued. We are driven by a deep sense of service to our clients and the students they serve, and eagerly get into the trenches to help solve our clients’ problems. We are also a learning organization that embraces the messiness of the work and has fun along the way. We take our work seriously but not ourselves.
As part of a dynamic, growing startup, you will report to OA’s Director of Product, work closely with the entire OA team, and serve as the subject expert for our data connections. We work remotely and maintain a strong team culture through daily meetings, quarterly step-backs, and an annual in-person retreat.
Our ideal candidate is well-versed in scripting and automation. The right individual should enjoy creatively solving problems, find satisfaction in creating efficient solutions, and have an eye for ways to continually improve our data infrastructure.
You will be maintaining existing ETL jobs, creating new ones from existing files, and writing new data connectors from scratch. Some example ETLS:
- Retrieve a .zip file from an FTP, extract files, concatenate all files into a single .csv, upload to our data warehouse.
- Make a POST request to an API, retrieve a JSON object, dump the contents to a .csv, and upload to our data warehouse.
- Log into a website via browser automation, request an export, observe the page for the export to be complete, click the download link, rename the exported file, and upload to our data warehouse.
Our ETL pipelines are designed to be fully automated and we heavily resist manual work and solutions that create tech debt; these are key principles we follow.
Required Technical Skills and Experience
- 2+ years of experience in Python writing automated ETLs
- Experience using Selenium browser automation (or a similar tool)
- Ability to move data from one system to another via REST API, FTP, and native SDKs
- Strong understanding of data files and the ability to transform them (JSON, .csv, .xlsx, .txt)
- Working knowledge of SQL and the ability to write basic queries
- Diligent with commenting, documentation, and version control
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Must be able to provide examples of work products (example projects)
Required Personal Skills and Experience
- Ability to work in a fully remote environment (Slack, Zoom)
- Thrives in a fast-paced work environment with ability to manage multiple projects and deliverables simultaneously
- Self-motivated and able to independently structure work time to achieve assigned objectives
- Excited to work in a collaborative team environment with a flat and flexible organizational structure
- Adheres to the utmost ethical standards in preserving confidentiality with client data
- Works effectively with diverse stakeholders including school and district leaders
Other Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience working with financial/HR systems (such as MUNIS) and/or student data systems (such as student information systems or assessments)
- Experience with Rundeck (nice to have)
- Knowledgeable of and comfortable using Linux environments and Docker containers
- Experience with Microsoft Azure (Blob Storage, Data Lake, Cloud SQL)
- We offer a competitive compensation package depending on experience and qualifications
- Generous benefits package (health, dental and 401(k)) and flexible paid time off policy
- 100% remote work (most meetings occur during Eastern Standard hours)
- Chance to join a growing startup with opportunity to shape the company and your role
- Applications screened for qualified candidates
- First round interview with company leadership
- Homework assignment
- Final interview with the team
- Offer extended!
If you are interested in applying, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include work samples if readily available (not required at initial stage).